• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do you feel about American cartoons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How would you describe your relationship with cartoons
Love them
22%
 22%  [ 46 ]
Like them
29%
 29%  [ 60 ]
Indifferent towards them
15%
 15%  [ 32 ]
Dislike most of them (there are a few exceptions)
23%
 23%  [ 48 ]
Hate them (won't touch any of them)
7%
 7%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 202

mrsticky005

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I think the question is kinda silly because it really depends on the individual story.
I love animation and sequential art in general. Regardless of where it is from.

The reason why I tend to prefer anime is because I like how they have story arcs
rather than just being episodic. I also like how an anime can bring forth a variety of
emotions and feels less restricted by whatever it's genre is. I also like the willingness to
tackle serious subject matter in animated form rather than the sorta western taboo
where if something is animated then it has to be "silly" or can't be taken seriously.

Of course this is not to say that cartoons never have story arcs, a variety of emotion,
or tackle serious subject matter but I feel like even nowadays animation and sequential art are still looked down on in the west. Like there's this idea if you want to make a serious movie then it should be live action even when ironically a lot of live action movies are becoming more and more cartoony. Which isn't a bad thing.
I just think it would be a good thing for animation to be taken more seriously.

Finally I think while it is cool to see animated shows that are for instance
made in Japan by Japanese people intended for a Japanese audience
I also like seeing artistic collaboration between people of different nationalities
or different ethnic and social backgrounds. I suppose this is getting into a bit
of "diversity" and I do not like when it is forced upon artists who are just
trying to tell their own stories. But when it happens naturally I think it's amazing.

Lastly, while I do enjoy comedic and humorous animated shows I would like to see
a bit more sincerity and heart written into the stories of western animation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8